About Us

ABOUT THE CLUB

Most commonly known as The Lindell Club, the 4522 Club was organized in 1950 by Hugo Schumaker and others to be a sober social club for recovering alcoholics. Our historic building at 4522 Lindell Blvd. is over 120 years old. It was built in 1894 for Isaac Schwab, a local clothier. Isaac was also president of the first Temple Israel and served on the board of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company, which organized the 1904 World's Fair in Forest Park. The building was purchased in 1950 from Saint Louis University, which had acquired it from another private owner.

The Club was originally named the Alanon Club of St. Louis (not to be confused with Al-Anon Family Groups which did not exist at the time of our founding). Father Edward Dowling, Bill Wilson's spiritual adviser, was a charter member and supporter. Over the years our Club has evolved into a premier meeting location with a short-order restaurant and dining area. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that is not affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous or other organization. Our membership is comprised of members of AA and Al-Anon. We host over 50 meetings a week and serve about 1000 guests. The Lindell Club is nationally recognized in the larger recovery community.